lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: listelves ssl support

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: listelves ssl support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 16:01:09 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > Where do I go to get the program that will do SSL support for lynx?  Once
> > I find it, is it hard to install? I already have a precompiled version
> > of lynx that I installed on my shell. Thanks.
>
> I can dimly recall reading about a separate program, but all of the activity
> has been on linking SSL directly into Lynx.
>
>       http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/

Tom, you didn't include the address of the original requestor in the
post to lynx-dev. You may want to forward this.

These are the edssl and eassl daemons that proxy SSL for lynx.
They are easy to compile and run, but the source code is not that
portable and may need tweaking for various platforms. In addition to
edssl/eassl, you need a compiled version of openssl. The RSA licensing
problems still apply, with rsaref available for non-commercial uses in
the US. If in the US or Canada, get edssl/eassl from:
"http://cryptography.org/cgi-bin/crypto.cgi/SSL/edssl83c.tgz";
Outside the US, a version is available from the Netherlands at:
"ftp://ftp.zedz.net/pub/crypto/crypto/SSLapps/SSLlynx/edssl83b.tgz";

I use a shell script that runs the edssl daemon, runs lynx, then
kills the daemon when lynx terminates. This lets me share the binary
with others on my ISP, without having to verify that they are legally
allowed to use the SSL portion of the program, and still have SSL for
my own use.
                          Doug

__
Doug Kaufman