lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev INSERTFILE, EDITTEXTAREA border cases (was: another largish

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSERTFILE, EDITTEXTAREA border cases (was: another largish patch)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:29:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 26, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> > |
> > | * Protect INSERTFILE and EDITTEXTAREA from generating memory access
> > |   violations if the inserted file has lines that are too long for
> > |   the buffer used.  An alert message is issued and the long lines
> > |   are truncated.  Also don't exit if memory allocation fails for
> > |   the buffer to hold the whole file, since the only reason for the
> > |   failure may be that the file is too huge when otherwise lynx has
> > |   enough memory.
> >
> > Thanks for adding this, Klaus (it really was on my 2do-list ... just
> > hadn't found a round tuit yet :-) ).
> >
> > A few observations, however:
> >
> >  1. The alert message doesn't show up if the operation was EDITTEXTAREA
> >     (DWIMEDIT), but does for the INSERTFILE case.

No surprise, I found the reason: the alert wasn't implemented at all, my
description was false advertising... sorry.

> >  2. The truncation isn't total.  Only a single char at the length
> >     boundary gets dropped; additional chars end up being rendered on
> >     a subsequent line.

Yes, that was sloppy work.  I am fixing it.
Actually I'll try to wrap (spill) the lines for EDITTEXTAREA but
truncate for INSERTFILE.  Motivation: for the first, give preference
to not completely losing the user's editing work; for the latter, it's
probably binary crap anyway not fit to be included, and the file will
still be there to do something more useful with it.

There's a stupid bug in LYGetFileInfo too, it can cause a memory
access violation when using INSERTFILE.  Expect another patch
to correct these problems, sorry for the brokenness.

   Klaus