lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:20:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> So, since I don't have a "usual" environment to test with, what exactly
> IS the right way to set those keys?  Is the following "correct" _for me_:
>
>                 kich1=\E[1~, khome=\E[2~, kpp=\E[3~,
>                 kdch1=\E[4~,  kend=\E[5~, knp=\E[6~,

It should be, if that's what your insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdown
(top to bottom, then left to right in the above table) are sending.

And if that is right for your emulator, then a slang-compiled lynx *after
2.8.3dev.4* should get the actions as well as the descriptions right
*without lynx.cfg KEYMAP tricks* (and without .lynx-keymaps tricks).
If that is not the case, we should investigate further.  (I have an
idea why something might be wrong, but am waiting for confirmation/
clarification.)

> With this description I get the following output with those keys,

I don't understand what you mean here.  How do you "get" the following
output?  Does the "this" refer to the table above or the one below?

> and SEEMS to be what Lynx would want:
>
>                 insert ^[[2~  home ^[[1~  pgup ^[[5~
>                 delete ^[[3~  end  ^[[4~  pgdn ^[[6~

Those are the defaults, more or less (the difference being in home/end
vs. find/select - which I hope shouldn't matter here).  They also happen to
agree with what my keys are sending as well as with what my terminfo
(TERM=linux) says.

> > For most of the rest of the world, the Insert key does *not* generate
> > "^[[1~", but "^[[2~", and so on - your emulation seems just completely
>                         ^^^^^^^^^
> That "so on" is nothing I know about,

But you have just listed the "and so on", in your second table.

> and to be a bit argumentative,

nothing wrong with that :)

> I bet only a handful of users even on this list would know how to correct
> a non-standard situation.

How many users are there who have such a non-standard situation AND
no terminfo description for it?

> > IIRC you have had problems with this for a long time - has anything
> > changed?
>
> The labeling seems to have changed, when I don't know.  I have a 2.8.2rel.1
> running, and it seems to have the key descriptions correct, i.e., name and
> action correspond, despite my messed up situation.

Slang or ncurses, with or without your KEYMAP: hacks for those keys?

> > There is a more or less universal mapping, based on vt2xx terminals, and
> > that's what lynx assumes by default.  It certainly makes more sense than
> > assuming *your* non-"standard" environment by default.
>
> Not exactly what I wanted to say.  I'm saying make a _fixed_ description
> of the key _name_ (not the sequence it generates) to the Lynx action.

I understand you less and less. :)
Isn't that what we are doing?
What kind of name, anyway - lynx's name for the key, terminfo's name for
the key, curses.h's name for the key, ...

> Certainly makes the code simpler (no code needed at all other than hard-coded
> text), but for "power users" like yourself it would be inflexible, confining
> and static.  What you are doing is "right", no argument there.

Honoring terminfo capabilities isn't for "power users" any more than it is
for "normal users" on correctly configured systems.

I don't understand at all what that less-"right" code that would be
simpler would be.

  Klaus