lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 06:56:44 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Wes Leatherock wrote:

>[...]
>      As to different American and British rules for
> hyphenation, I have not noticed any difficulty in reading
> British newspapers.  Most algorithms for hyphenation are
> far from perfect; a look-up table with every word helps,
> but there will always be names, foreign words, and other
> exceptions that either have to be decided by human beings
> or done by an algorithm that was imperfect to start with
> and is generally not suitable at all for that purpose.

 I can add that currenlty hyphenation in lynx is implemented using Donald
Knuth's algorithm (used in TeX) (well, not strictly, but it uses the same
hyphenation rules' dictionaries, and produces the same output on the same
text, but it's faster than Knuth's). Currenlty, user is able to add his/her
own hyphenation exceptions that will be considered during hyphenation. FYI,
Knuth's algorithm  uses pattern matching, not a dictionary of hyphenated
words. After the algorithm is applied, not only hyphen positions are returned,
but their priorities too.

> Wes Leatherock
> address@hidden

 Best regards,