lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Licensing Lynx (fwd)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Licensing Lynx (fwd)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:20:49 +0100 (BST)

> We will certainly create good code, but it pays to use existing libraries,
> etc. as well. When one sets out to write a program, one doesn't rewrite

If people do decide to sell out on this one (and I suspect not enough
will) remember that the value of the code to him is probably comparable to
the labour costs in recreating it together with overheads (payroll tax,
office space, development hardware).  Although he could develop it himself
for a similar cost, he would not get to market as quickly and the risks
would be higher than starting from largely written and tested code.  What
you would be selling is not the code but a reduction in risk and a quicker
time to market; and of coarse the ability to profit from his proprietory
additions.  (You would be no more selling the code than Red Hat sell
Linux or Microsoft sell Windows 98.)

Commercial prices are set by what the market will bear.  He has already more
or less admitted that Lynx is in a monopoly position.

Incidentally, I do have a certain sympathy with his position, but I think
it is probably hopeless in this case.