lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's

From: Richard E. Hawkins
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch to spawn extra lynx's
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:38:09 -0500

mike mentioned,

> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 01:26:09PM -0500, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> > I've almost finished a patch to allow a middle-click to spawn an extra
> > lynx in a new xterm, as with netscape and mozilla. This is the last

> Hmmmm.... I've been doing this for quite a while now using the EXTERNAL
> feature..... instead of middle click (I never touch a mouse), I press `.'.

I'd gotten the idea that this was supposed to work somewhere in the
stuff I read yesterday, but now I don't know where . . . ahh, this was
it, in LYKeymap.c:

 #ifndef USE_EXTERNALS
 LYK_NEXT_PAGE,    LYK_PREV_PAGE,        0,          LYK_WHEREIS,
 /* , */              /* - */         /* . */        /* / */
 #else
 LYK_NEXT_PAGE,    LYK_PREV_PAGE, LYK_EXTERN,        LYK_WHEREIS,
 /* , */              /* - */         /* . */        /* / */
 #endif

                                     ^^^^^^^

(or the equivalent in the .1 sources).

I'm reading this as meaning that . should send the current link to
run_external().  My config.status shows

 # ./configure  --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstat
edir=/var --libdir=/etc --with-screen=ncurses --enable-8bit-toupper --enable-ext
erns --enable-nsl-fork --enable-cgi-links --enable-exec-links --enable-exec-scri
pts --enable-persistent-cookies --with-zlib

but . doesn't do anything.  Do I need to do something else to enable it?

And are you saying that for html and the like, the external viewer will
be a new lyx?  This would certainly beat coding something new :)

However, doesn't this still leave the problem that lynx waits until the
other program exists before it returns to browsing?

> Just something to think about since, as others have pointed out, the
> code base has changed quite a bit and you may have some significant
> amount of resyncing to do.

"from scratch" is closer :)

> Hmmmm... maybe a generic solution could be that middle click on a link
> would be the same as pressing `.' for that link?

that would make sense to me.  It is also consistent with the commands
for other browsers.

rick, who would rather not write any new code if given the opportunity