lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:01:02 -0400 (EDT)

990720 Doug Young wrote to me again:

FIRST, send all messages to  address@hidden , where everyone will see them;
second, you need to tell us what system you are using -- UNIX, Windows etc --
& as much else about your set-up as you can;
third, try to help your helpers by omitting `.............' etc (grimace).

>> my `Lynx Help For Beginners' is designed for novices:
>> it's on the Main Help Page or via www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .
> that stuff is way beyond me I'm afraid ........
> I don't want or need to be able to do any tricky stuff with lynx
> just want to do REAL BASIC web browsing
> like telling it to go to http://www.blah.com
> without having to wade through 20,000 pages of verbiage
> in order to get it configured

it's normal enough with free software to have to do some work yourself:
volunteer developers usually want to help, but won't hold your hand for you.

>> your current problem can be solved by entering  lynx .  (yes, just a dot),
>> which will call up your current directory
> nahhhhhhh ..... its far too ornery to be fooled by stuff like that :(
> ...... it doesn't know any response except "startfile not found"

did you actually try entering `lynx .' ?

>> or try  lynx file://localhost/p ,
>> where for `p' you substitute the full path to a file you know to exist.
> tried that too but didn't make the slightest difference  .....

that's puzzling: are you sure the file exists & the path is accurate?

> this beast is like a cracked record .......
> only thing it knows is "startfile not found"
> I even tried a full re-install (three times !) but still same problem :(
>> make sure you're using the latest 2-8-2 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ .
> dunno ..... how to tell ?? this stuff isn't like Microsoft
> with a nice simple "About" window to tell you stuff like that

you mentioned UNIX in your first message, but now refer to M$ :
if your system is a form of UNIX, you have to accept things work differently.

> it should be fairly late edition
> because it came with a CD set I got from www.lsl.com.au a week ago
> and their stuff is usually quite up to date

that's Linux System Labs Australia, tho' they have other flavors of UNIX.
just what was the CD called?