lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.4 - --force-empty-hrefless-a

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.4 - --force-empty-hrefless-a
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:29:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Heather Stern wrote:
>
> > T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > > 1999-07-14 (2.8.3dev.4)
> >   [most of changelog snipped]
> > > * added support for forcing-empty-HREFless-As - ie A element that doesn't
> > >   contain HREF will be closed after it was seen (without waiting for
> > > </a>) -
> > >   this fixes rendering of documentation, produced by broken translators
> > > that
> > >   don't emit balanced 'A's (eg RedHat docs produced by 'dlh', Sybase
> > > docs) -
> > >   commandline option is --force-empty-hrefless-a, and
> > > force_empty_hrefless_a
> > >   in lynx.cfg, ifdef'd with NO_EMPTY_HREFLESS_A -VH

It seems this change just enables a bit of code that was always there
but commented out (with '#ifdef NOTUSED_FOTEMODS'), and makes it
configurable at runtime.  At least get rid of the NOTUSED_FOTEMODS
reference, since it isn't unused any more.

Please give some examples of docs where this improves things.  Instead of
this hack, there should be a better way to recover.  If lynx doesn't, then
maybe we should make it do so, instead of masking the problem.

> > Will this still correctly handle my favorite way of stubbing off hotlinks
> > which have been brought to question:
> >     <A HREF="http://www.example.com/";>Example Widget Supply House</a>
> > becomes
> >     <A stub="http://www.example.com/";>Example Widget Supply House</a>
> >
> > ...making it easy for me to reinstate the hotlink quickly when the issue
> > is resolved.
>
>  What do you say by "correctly handling"? (I read your description of
> "stubbing"). This mode is turned on by commandline switch (and/or lynx.cfg
> setting) - in this mode such part of html won't get the color of the "a".

Don't think color-style-centric, most people don't use color styles.

There is also a dependence on whether BOLD_HEADERS is used (which
otherwise, I think, does have no effect on color-style coloring).

I invented the SET_SKIP_STACK hack, but never checked whether using
it messes up the color-style stack of color styles; I suspect it does.

    Klaus