lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:08:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>So far there has been a lot of speculation in this thread based on
>unstated or unverified assumptions.  (Starting with the very beginning,
>the assumption that unser-agent had anything to do with anything.)

Well, ok, forget about it.  It looks like I didn't save any of the original
messages I got back from IMDB in my attempts, and I just tried:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -useragent='' -nolist -dump http://www.imdb.com/StudioBrief
| mail address@hidden

and
/usr/local/bin/lynx -useragent='lynx' -nolist -dump
http://www.imdb.com/StudioBrief | mail address@hidden

(during when I was getting the error emails, I didn't have the -useragent
parameter in there at all.)

Both of the above successfully mailed me the page that I expect.. So either
I was mistaken about the original problem (though other than the user agent
requirement, the error page only talked about specific sites mentioned
and robotic crawling), or imdb changed their end.