lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Hello/LYNX

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Hello/LYNX
Date: 23 Jun 1999 01:39:34 -0400

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> writes:

> > The French translations came from Lynx users in Canada. I'm hoping for
> > translated versions of help pages and other documents (real soon now).

Some translations exist apparently exist.  Are the translators who did
them part of their relative national translation team already?  Was the
legalese cleared with the FSF for translators?  Let's try to put each of
these matters in its proper place, sooner than later if possible.

How should we proceed to achieve these short-term goals, while being as
painless as possible?

> > There is a Free Translation Project that may have volunteers who could
> > do this (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard).  Any other help you could
> > give would be appreciated.

> Unfortunately, the link to the "French site" from that page is currently
> broken.

Yes, the responsible of it went to military service.  He is now back, and
fairly active, but the sites changed, as well as the spirit of the effort,
as they now translated manuals and HOWTOs more than program messages,
while another team stayed on messages.  But both team recently converged and
merged somewhat, and despite individual responsibilities are still separate,
a single team takes care of all aspects, for French.  Note that each national
team organizes as it wants, they are indeed different of one another.

Oh, in case it matters to you the Web page for the translation project is:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML

I reorganised it all very recently, but it is now stabilizing fast enough.