lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynxcfg.html ideas

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynxcfg.html ideas
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:42:43 +0900 (JST)

> something like that - I was thinking about a comparable syntax adjustment
> which would make it simple to write an awk script to do that job.

This didn't sink in right away.  I have written a gawk script which I used
to do the "in-place" conversion I suggested might be a possible way to go.
Perhaps it will be useful as a prototype.  The only real "syntax adjustment"
is putting in blank lines to set off defines when they come one after another.
It wouldn't be hard to do it more elegantly.

I do not view putting the descriptions within <pre> blocks to be a
deficiency.  The other reasonable option of forcing the various types of
tables into one format (present *and* future) doesn't appeal to me.

Also, my goal was to rely totally on the distribution lynx.cfg, which is
why the ToC links only take you to the top of the ToC, and not to the
categorical fragments.  I think if this feature is very much desired, then
the lynx.cfg file itself should be rearranged to put the various defines
into categories with headings.  That would preclude the need for having a
separate array to rearrange the defines (which would require maintenance),
and, more importantly, would make it easier for coders to know where to
insert their new defines.  An added benefit would be that the lynxcfg_toc.html
file could also be generated directly from lynx.cfg.  If it isn't done,
then all those ToC links need to be taken out and printed only once in BEGIN
or END, possibly both.

The script fails when a number of defines are handled together, or are
ifdefed for various platforms, e.g., SYSTEM_MAIL/SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS,
"PROTOCOL_proxy", HTMLSRC_*.  I see a fork in the road here: make the
generating script more robust, or redesign the way these defines are
handled.  I prefer the latter (although I did fudge a bit for the
SYSTEM_MAIL and "PROTOCOL_proxy" ones).

Appended are, first the script, then the patch against lynx2.8.3dev.1 you
would need to apply to lynx.cfg to use the script.

__Henry

#o cfghtm.gk (add LYNXSETTINGSTATUS support to lynx.cfg) 99/05/30 - HN
#o Command line: `cat lynx.cfg | gawk -f cfgtest > lynxcfg.html`
BEGIN {
 print "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN\">"
 print "<HTML><HEAD>"
 print "<TITLE>Annotated Lynx Configuration File</TITLE>"
 print "</HEAD><BODY><pre>\n# lynx.cfg file."
}

func RollM() {
 fuz=was
 was=pulldef
 pulldef=fuz
}

func PrnLink() {
 print "\n\n</pre><hr><h2><a name=\""defin[tally]"\">"defin[tally]"</a>"
 print "&nbsp; - <a href=\"LYNXSETTINGSTATUS://"defin[tally]"\">Status of this
setting</a>"
 print "&nbsp; | <a href=\"lynxcfg_toc.html\">ToC</a></h2><pre>"
 tally++
}

{
 while(getline<"lynx.cfg">0) {
  if (match($0, /^#?[A-Z][A-Z][A-Z1-8_]+:/)) {
   pulldef = substr($0, RSTART, (RLENGTH-1))
   sub(/#/, "", pulldef)
   if (pulldef != fuz && pulldef != was) {
    defin[defcountr] = pulldef
    defcountr++
    RollM()
   }
  }
 }
}

{
 gsub(/>/,"\\&gt;")
 gsub(/</,"\\&lt;")
}

{
 if( $0 != "" ){
  print
  ++blanklines
 }else{
  if( blanklines >= 1 ){
   PrnLink()
   blanklines = 0
  }
 }
}

END {
 print "</pre></BODY></HTML>"
}

*** lynx.cfg.orig       Mon Jun 14 16:18:43 1999
--- lynx.cfg    Mon Jun 14 16:14:52 1999
***************
*** 15,24 ****
  #
  # All definitions must be flush left and have NO spaces.!!!

- # An HTML'ized description of all settings (based on comments in this file,
- # with alphabetical table of settings and with table of settings by category)
- # is available at http://www.hippo.ru/~hvv/lynxcfg_toc.html
-
  # Starting with Lynx 2.8.1, the lynx.cfg file has a crude "include"
  # facility.  This means that you can take advantage of the global lynx.cfg
  # while also supplying your own tweaks.
--- 15,20 ----
***************
*** 432,437 ****
--- 428,434 ----
  # will be made gopher://gopher.wfbr.edu).
  #
  #URL_DOMAIN_PREFIXES:www.
+
  #URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES:.com,.edu,.net,.org

  # Lynx Options Menu style toggle:  forms-based or old-style.
***************
*** 465,471 ****
--- 462,470 ----
  # pauses be desired for braille-based access to Lynx.
  #
  #INFOSECS:1
+
  #MESSAGESECS:2
+
  #ALERTSECS:3

  # If USE_SELECT_POPUPS is set FALSE, Lynx will present a vertical list of
***************
*** 549,554 ****
--- 548,554 ----
  # DEFAULT_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_SIZE has been exceeded, as with VAXC/VAX).
  #
  #DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE:10
+
  #DEFAULT_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_SIZE:512000

  # SOURCE_CACHE sets the source caching behavior for Lynx:
***************
*** 643,648 ****
--- 643,649 ----
  # links, but can still be dangerous.
  #
  #LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON:FALSE
+
  #LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE:FALSE

  # If LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINK_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE is TRUE, and no TRUSTED_EXEC
***************
*** 829,834 ****
--- 830,836 ----
  # for earlier articles.
  #
  #NEWS_CHUNK_SIZE:30
+
  #NEWS_MAX_CHUNK:40

  # Set NEWS_POSTING to FALSE if you do not want to support posting to
***************
*** 895,900 ****
--- 897,903 ----
  # made here.
  #
  #COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS:
+
  #COOKIE_REJECT_DOMAINS:

  # COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS, COOKIE_STRICT_INVALID_DOMAINS, and
***************
*** 906,912 ****
--- 909,917 ----
  # querying the user for an invalid path or domain.
  #
  #COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS:
+
  #COOKIE_STRICT_INVALID_DOMAINS:
+
  #COOKIE_QUERY_INVALID_DOMAINS:

  # COOKIE_FILE is the default file to store persistent downloaded cookies
***************
*** 936,943 ****
  #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:/headers
  #
  #SYSTEM_MAIL:MAIL
- #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:

  # Unix:
  #======
  # The mail path and flags normally are defined for sendmail (or submit
--- 941,949 ----
  #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:/headers
  #
  #SYSTEM_MAIL:MAIL

+ #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:
+ #
  # Unix:
  #======
  # The mail path and flags normally are defined for sendmail (or submit
***************
*** 953,959 ****
  #
  #SYSTEM_MAIL:/usr/lib/sendmail
  #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:-t -oi
!
  # Win32:
  #=======
  # Please read sendmail.txt in the LYNX_W32.ZIP distribution
--- 959,965 ----
  #
  #SYSTEM_MAIL:/usr/lib/sendmail
  #SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:-t -oi
! #
  # Win32:
  #=======
  # Please read sendmail.txt in the LYNX_W32.ZIP distribution
***************
*** 1104,1110 ****
  #finger_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
  #cso_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
  #no_proxy:host.domain.dom
!
  # The no_proxy variable can be a comma-separated list of strings defining
  # no-proxy zones in the DNS domain name space.  If a tail substring of the
  # domain-path for a host matches one of these strings, transactions with that
--- 1110,1116 ----
  #finger_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
  #cso_proxy:http://some.server.dom:port/
  #no_proxy:host.domain.dom
! #
  # The no_proxy variable can be a comma-separated list of strings defining
  # no-proxy zones in the DNS domain name space.  If a tail substring of the
  # domain-path for a host matches one of these strings, transactions with that
***************
*** 1119,1124 ****
--- 1125,1132 ----
  # Warning:  Note that setting 'il' as an entry in this list will block
proxying
  # for the .mil domain as well as the .il domain.  If the entry is '.il' this
  # will not happen.
+ #
+ #PROTOCOL_PROXY:

  # PRINTER & DOWNLOADER DEFINITIONS:
  # Lynx has 4 pre-defined print options & 1 pre-defined download option,
***************
*** 1180,1186 ****
  # of hex display mode if 8-bit or control characters are present;
  # +s invokes secure mode (see ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/most):
  #PRINTER:Use Most to view:most -k +s %s:TRUE:23
! #
  # Downloader examples:
  # in Kermit, -s %s is the filename sent, -a %s the filename on arrival
  # (if they are given in reverse order here, the command will fail):
--- 1188,1194 ----
  # of hex display mode if 8-bit or control characters are present;
  # +s invokes secure mode (see ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/most):
  #PRINTER:Use Most to view:most -k +s %s:TRUE:23
!
  # Downloader examples:
  # in Kermit, -s %s is the filename sent, -a %s the filename on arrival
  # (if they are given in reverse order here, the command will fail):
***************
*** 1194,1200 ****
  # by using a script to make a subdirectory in /tmp,
  # but may conflict with very strong security or permissions restrictions:
  #DOWNLOADER:Use Zmodem to download to the local terminal:set %s
%s;td=/tmp/Lsz$$;mkdir $td;ln -s $1 $td/"$2";sz $td/"$2";rm -r $td:TRUE
!
  # Note for OS/390: The following is strongly recommended  /* S/390 -- gil --
1464 */
  # to undo ASCII->EBCDIC conversion.
  #
--- 1202,1208 ----
  # by using a script to make a subdirectory in /tmp,
  # but may conflict with very strong security or permissions restrictions:
  #DOWNLOADER:Use Zmodem to download to the local terminal:set %s
%s;td=/tmp/Lsz$$;mkdir $td;ln -s $1 $td/"$2";sz $td/"$2";rm -r $td:TRUE
! #
  # Note for OS/390: The following is strongly recommended  /* S/390 -- gil --
1464 */
  # to undo ASCII->EBCDIC conversion.
  #
***************
*** 1478,1484 ****
  #GLOBAL_EXTENSION_MAP:/usr/local/lib/mosaic/mime.types
  #     VMS:
  #GLOBAL_EXTENSION_MAP:Lynx_Dir:mime.types
! #
  #     Unix (sought in user's home directory):
  #PERSONAL_EXTENSION_MAP:.mime.types
  #     VMS (sought in user's sys$login directory):
--- 1486,1492 ----
  #GLOBAL_EXTENSION_MAP:/usr/local/lib/mosaic/mime.types
  #     VMS:
  #GLOBAL_EXTENSION_MAP:Lynx_Dir:mime.types
!
  #     Unix (sought in user's home directory):
  #PERSONAL_EXTENSION_MAP:.mime.types
  #     VMS (sought in user's sys$login directory):
***************
*** 1499,1505 ****
  # personal mailcap files (see below).
  #
  #XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND:xv %s
!
  # Unix:
  # =====
  # XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND will be used as a default in src/HTInit.c for
--- 1507,1513 ----
  # personal mailcap files (see below).
  #
  #XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND:xv %s
! #
  # Unix:
  # =====
  # XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND will be used as a default in src/HTInit.c for
***************
*** 1578,1584 ****
  #GLOBAL_MAILCAP:/usr/local/lib/mosaic/mailcap
  #     VMS:
  #GLOBAL_MAILCAP:Lynx_Dir:mailcap
! #
  #     Sought in user's home (Unix) or sys$login (VMS) directory.
  #PERSONAL_MAILCAP:.mailcap

--- 1586,1592 ----
  #GLOBAL_MAILCAP:/usr/local/lib/mosaic/mailcap
  #     VMS:
  #GLOBAL_MAILCAP:Lynx_Dir:mailcap
!
  #     Sought in user's home (Unix) or sys$login (VMS) directory.
  #PERSONAL_MAILCAP:.mailcap

***************
*** 1645,1651 ****
  # used under those conditions; see lynx-keymaps distributed in the samples
  # subdirectory for furhter explanation.  Note that mapping via
  # .lynx-keymaps, if applicable, is a step that precedes KEYMAP.
!
  #KEYMAP:0x5C:SOURCE   # Toggle source viewing mode (show HTML source)
  #KEYMAP:^R:RELOAD     # Reload the current document and redisplay
  #KEYMAP:q:QUIT                # Ask the user to quit
--- 1653,1659 ----
  # used under those conditions; see lynx-keymaps distributed in the samples
  # subdirectory for furhter explanation.  Note that mapping via
  # .lynx-keymaps, if applicable, is a step that precedes KEYMAP.
! #
  #KEYMAP:0x5C:SOURCE   # Toggle source viewing mode (show HTML source)
  #KEYMAP:^R:RELOAD     # Reload the current document and redisplay
  #KEYMAP:q:QUIT                # Ask the user to quit
***************
*** 1738,1744 ****
  #KEYMAP:???:EDITTEXTAREA   # use external editor to edit a form textarea
  #KEYMAP:???:GROWTEXTAREA   # Add some blank lines to bottom of textarea
  #KEYMAP:???:INSERTFILE     # Insert file into a textarea (just above cursor)
!
  # If TOGGLE_HELP is mapped, in novice mode the second help menu line
  # can be toggled among NOVICE_LINE_TWO_A, _B, and _C, as defined in
  # LYMessages_en.h  Otherwise, it will be NOVICE_LINE_TWO.
--- 1746,1752 ----
  #KEYMAP:???:EDITTEXTAREA   # use external editor to edit a form textarea
  #KEYMAP:???:GROWTEXTAREA   # Add some blank lines to bottom of textarea
  #KEYMAP:???:INSERTFILE     # Insert file into a textarea (just above cursor)
! #
  # If TOGGLE_HELP is mapped, in novice mode the second help menu line
  # can be toggled among NOVICE_LINE_TWO_A, _B, and _C, as defined in
  # LYMessages_en.h  Otherwise, it will be NOVICE_LINE_TWO.
***************
*** 1859,1921 ****
  #
  #DIRED_MENU:::New File:(in current directory):LYNXDIRED://NEW_FILE%d
  #DIRED_MENU:::New Directory:(in current directory):LYNXDIRED://NEW_FOLDER%d
!
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Install:(of current selection):LYNXDIRED://INSTALL_SRC%p
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Install:(of current selection):LYNXDIRED://INSTALL_SRC%p
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Modify File Name:(of current
selection):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_NAME%p
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Modify Directory Name:(of current
selection):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_NAME%p
  #DIRED_MENU:LINK::Modify Name:(of selected symbolic
link):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_NAME%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_PERMIT
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Modify File Permissions:(of current
selection):LYNXDIRED://PERMIT_SRC%p
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Modify Directory Permissions:(of current
selection):LYNXDIRED://PERMIT_SRC%p
!
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Change Location:(of selected
file):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_LOCATION%p
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Change Location:(of selected
directory):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_LOCATION%p
  #DIRED_MENU:LINK::Change Location:(of selected symbolic
link):LYNXDIRED://MODIFY_LOCATION%p
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Remove File:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://REMOVE_SINGLE%p
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Remove Directory:(current
selection):LYNXDIRED://REMOVE_SINGLE%p
  #DIRED_MENU:LINK::Remove Symbolic Link:(current
selection):LYNXDIRED://REMOVE_SINGLE%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_UUDECODE and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::UUDecode:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UUDECODE%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_TAR and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.tar.Z:Expand:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNTAR_Z%p
!
  # Following depend on OK_TAR and OK_GZIP and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.tar.gz:Expand:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNTAR_GZ%p
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.tgz:Expand:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNTAR_GZ%p
!
  # Following depends on !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.Z:Uncompress:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://DECOMPRESS%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_GZIP and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.gz:Uncompress:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNGZIP%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_ZIP and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.zip:Uncompress:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNZIP%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_TAR and !ARCHIVE_ONLY
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE:.tar:UnTar:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://UNTAR%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_TAR
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Tar:(current selection):LYNXDIRED://TAR%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_TAR and OK_GZIP
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Tar and compress:(using GNU gzip):LYNXDIRED://TAR_GZ%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_ZIP
  #DIRED_MENU:DIR::Package and compress:(using zip):LYNXDIRED://ZIP%p
!
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Compress:(using Unix compress):LYNXDIRED://COMPRESS%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_GZIP
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Compress:(using gzip):LYNXDIRED://GZIP%p
!
  # Following depends on OK_ZIP
  #DIRED_MENU:FILE::Compress:(using zip):LYNXDIRED://ZIP%p
!
  #DIRED_MENU:TAG::Move all tagged items to another
location.::LYNXDIRED://MOVE_TAGGED%d
  #DIRED_MENU:TAG::Remove all tagged files and
directories.::LYNXDIRED://REMOVE_TAGGED
  #DIRED_MENU:TAG::Untag all tagged items.::LYNXDIRED://CLEAR_TAGGED
--- 1867,1929 ----
  #
[...]
*** 2034,2040 ****
  # For invoking the command use the EXTERN key.  By default it is mapped
  # to '.' (if the feature is enabled), see the KEYMAP section above.
  #
! # EXTERNAL:ftp:wget %s &:TRUE

  # CERN-style rules, EXPERIMENTAL  -  URL-specific rules
  #
--- 2042,2048 ----
  # For invoking the command use the EXTERN key.  By default it is mapped
  # to '.' (if the feature is enabled), see the KEYMAP section above.
  #
! #EXTERNAL:ftp:wget %s &:TRUE

  # CERN-style rules, EXPERIMENTAL  -  URL-specific rules
  #
***************
*** 2049,2060 ****
  # in the samples subdirectory for further explanation.
  #
  # Examples:
! #     RULESFILE:/etc/lynx/cernrules
! #     RULE:Fail       gopher:*                     # reject by scheme
! #     RULE:Pass       finger://address@hidden/             # allow this,
! #     RULE:Fail       finger:*                     # but not others
! #     RULE:Redirect   http://old.server/*     http://new.server/*

  # Pretty source view settings. These settings are in effect when -prettysrc
  # was specified.
--- 2057,2068 ----
  # in the samples subdirectory for further explanation.
  #
  # Examples:
! #RULESFILE:/etc/lynx/cernrules

+ #RULE:Fail    gopher:*                     # reject by scheme
+ #RULE:Pass    finger://address@hidden/             # allow this,
+ #RULE:Fail    finger:*                     # but not others
+ #RULE:Redirect        http://old.server/*     http://new.server/*

  # Pretty source view settings. These settings are in effect when -prettysrc
  # was specified.
*** 2145,2151 ****
  #HTMLSRC_BADTAG::
  #HTMLSRC_BADATTR:!b:b
  #HTMLSRC_SGMLSPECIAL:b:!b
- #
  # Other source-view related options:
  #
  # Options HTMLSRC_TAGNAME_XFORM and HTMLSRC_ATTRNAME_XFORM control the way the
--- 2153,2158 ----