lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Comments on New Features summary

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Comments on New Features summary
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 00:18:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > >          + to accept cookies with no value, in case the site resets a
> > >            cookie by nulling out the value
> >
> > Cookies with no value aren't really "accepted", they don't get stored
> > (neither in memory nor on disk).  I think the behavior is actually wrong
> > (but doesn't seem to do harm since no sites rely on it), suggest removing
> > this item.
>
> that was the original changelog entry (perhaps it was too vague or poorly
> worded)

They are now at first accepted and passed on, so they can have the effect
of superseding a previous cookie, but get ultimately dropped.  Previously,
they were dropped earlier.  The following seems more accurate

      + accept cookies with empty value for removing of previous value

> > >          + relax the cookie sanity checking for version 0 (old) cookies
> > >            _only when_ the user has accept_all_cookies set
> >
> > This doesn't describe current behavior.  Use instead (something like):
>
> something like (but we should try to be brief, I think)

I didn't feel I could condense it without losing useful info, but feel
free to try.

> > >     * modify print-to-file logic to permit writing to pipe, provided
> > >       that the user does not have no-shell restriction
> >
> > There is no hint how to actually do this.
>
> if the template command begins with a '|', lynx does a popen rather than
> fopen.

I had seen it in the source code; but this piece of info isn't available
anywhere else, not even in CHANGES; so folks that don't read the right
file in the source code can find this out only by intuition, guessing,
or accident.

    Klaus