lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev persistent cookies default

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev persistent cookies default
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:09:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> I vote configuring PERSISTENT_COOKIES enabled by default
> for all Lynx ports (especiall non-UNIX) before 2.8.2 will be released.
>
> This feature rather stable (after fixing dev23 dangerous bug, of cause),
> and can be assumed not experimental these days.

If that happens, the default setting (i.e. if it is not uncommented)
in lynx.cfg should be changed to PERSISTENT_COOKIES:FALSE.

> The only know problem: the lost of quotes when saving cookies to file
> (struct cookie, field "quoted").

Other problems: (not all specific to *ersistent* cookies)

- How to deal with empty cookie values.
  I have code (to treat them like any other values), needs cleanup
  and testing.  Maybe someone can explore how other browsers deal
  with this case, I got inconsistent results from brief testing
  with Netscape Navigator 4.04.

- Possibly better prompts for "invalid cookie" events, control
  of "invalid cookie" default behavior from Cookie Jar screen.

- Documentation update needed.

- Should lynx try to detect when the cookie file has been changed
  by another process before writing to it?  Maybe ask for confirmation?
  (An old topic.)  (Lynx could even try to merge the file with its
  own cookie state on exit, one simple way would be just appending
  and rely on elimination of duplicates by the next invocation.)

- I am not completely convinced that the recent change to make
  domain strin comparisons case insensitive is correct.  It seems
  to make sense, but seems to contradict the wording of the specs
  (which mention 'exact string comparison', without talking about
  case).  Should check with authors of spec and/or check other
  browsers.

- Some tweak to make .lynx_cookies file note netscape-compatible
  (setting of field in 2nd columns, currently always FALSE).

- Various doman lists can be set (in saved) in .lynxrc, but there
  is no Options screen interface, it has to be done manually.
  Also saved lists are not updated from state established during
  session (bug or feature?).

- Corrupt .lynx_cookies lines could be detected better.

   Klaus