lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.23: extended INCLUDE syntax broken for DOSPATH
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:02:46 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > > [...]
> >
> >  As I understand (due to silence), there are no objections against the use
> > of
> > ' :' (space then colon) as the separator. Any discussion is welcome on this
> > topic. I will wait 1 day for it, then will send a patch (if different
> > solution
> > is not voted for).
>
> I was rather busy preparing a patch for xterm.  I still think that quoting
> is the only reliable way to do this (a ' :' will make VMS and DOS work
> however it is something that someone would expect to see, hence will probably
> introduce error).
>[...]

 I still consider ' :' as the most elegant solution. Let's wait for opinions
of other lynx developers. To make things less confusing on unix, we can make
':' as the separator rather than ' :', and leave ' :' as separator for other
OSes - and I still can't imagine what this feature will be useful for on these
OSes.

 As for quoting, if we will accept this approach, we have to do the following
(to guarantee backward compatibility on DOS and VMS) -   don't look for ':' if
name is unquoted, and look for it if quoted. And how users will be able to
quote filenames with '"' in them - the '\' is already used on MSDOS, so we
have to invent another escape character if we accept  quoting...

PS: as date header of your letter says, you start working very early (or stop
working too late) - is the header correct?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad