lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx and ncurses and gpm

From: Klaus Schilling
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and ncurses and gpm
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:09:42 +0200 (CEST)

Klaus Weide writes:
 > On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Alexander V. Lukyanov wrote:
 >
 > > getch can also return ERR on timeout if one was set.
 > > So I beleave applications should not immediately exit on ERR from getch.
 >
 > Yes, that is probably good advice.  But according to the existing
 > documentation, an application (if it's using ncurses) that doesn't use
 > no-delay or half-delay mode has every right to assume that ERR means a
 > real failure.

My curses-wrapper for the scripting language `guile' throws an exception
when wgetch returns ERR. (Or any other function that returns ERR upon
failure, for that matter) This leaves it up to the script writer who may
specify an exception handler or let defaultwise an error exit be
triggered. In order for that to be usefull, does that mean one must
provide enough information on the script level to see how the ERR
happened, in order to write an appropriate handler? What informations
should that be and how to extract them? (guile exception throws may
take as second argument ,besides the key which corresponds to a previous
catch key, a user parameter that can be used by the exception handler).

Klaus Schilling