lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:53:27 -0400

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 07:33:45AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> users should not have the width of their display hard-coded
> as a result of a choice by someone in the early days of Lynx
> who has long vanished from the scene (much as we may owe him otherwise);

But the width of the display isn't hard-coded.  Those who have wider
screens get longer lines, and those with narrower screens (or windows)
get shorter lines.

> users should be free to choose how many columns of their screens to use,
> setting L/R margins by an Option or in  lynx.cfg  or both.

What you're talking about isn't margins, though.  H2 text goes all the
way to the first column, and so does text preformatted with <PRE>.
What you call margins is actually style.  When I told you where to change
those two 3's to 0's to get what you want, it only effects the style of
a simple paragraph.  The reason there are two 3's to change is that the
first one tells how far to indent the first line, and the second one tells
how far to indent the rest of the paragraph.  If you only change the second
one, each paragraph will be indented three spaces in the first line, while
the remainder goes all the way to the first column.

There are similar numbers for many other HTML elements.  I don't see any
reason to have a configuration option that changes one (or two) of
those.  Should we make both of those numbers configurable, so that those
who prefer paragraphs to have the first line indented can do so?  And
what about making the indentation of preformatted text or blockquotes
configurable?  Or how about how much to indent nested lists (I personally
think that having each nested list indented five spaces more than the
next level up is excessive, and would like it to be changed, but I don't
think it should be a configuration option)?

Chuck