lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:

>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:41:35 -0600 (MDT)
>From: address@hidden
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
>
>In a recent note, Ismael Cordeiro said:
>
>> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:13:21 -0400 (EDT)
>>
>> > then a "vt100 emulator" cannot support color, because it is no longer a
>> > vt100 emulator.
>>
>> `A la lettre, you're right but they are VT100 emulators _and_ support color.
>>
>One thing that matters is that not only must the "emulator" support color,
>but curses must support generating the color escape sequences for that
>emulator, which means in turn that the termcap/terminfo for that
>TERM type must define those color escape sequences.  This is likely
>not to be under the control of the "emulator" author.

I think this is an argument that probably is useless, because Ismael still
doesn't seem to realize that "vt100 emulator" _implies_ that it does not
emulate things _besides_ a vt100.  (That is, it implies strict emulation.)

Anyhow, I actually have a question about this color stuff now that there
has been discussion about it..

I'm using
Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998)

I think I'm on Solaris..  (dang I never remember how to check..)

In the Options, I can pick different choices for the Show Color popup,
but it always goes back to OFF no matter what I pick..

Does this mean it wasn't compiled with Color support in, or what?
Is there any way this could be improved so that the other items said
<NOT AVAILABLE> or something while I had the popup popped up?  even if
it said something longer like <NOT AVAILABLE BECAUSE COLOR NOT COMPILED IN>
it would be good.