lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Win32 docs patch (was: Lynx and downloading files)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Win32 docs patch (was: Lynx and downloading files)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:34:58 +0400 (MSD)

19-Apr-99 19:31 Doug Kaufman wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> 19-Apr-99 09:38 Webmaster Jim wrote:
>> > [ ... ]
>>
>> IMHO we should check the existance of cp.exe and mv.exe at DOSPATH platforms
>> and force HTAlert error when these executables apparently lost (LYCopyFile).
>> What does status codes for
>>         code = LYSystem(the_command)
>> look like?

> The problem is more complex. As in this user's case, he had a cp.exe
> program, but it was the wrong one. Making sure that there is a valid
> cp program, that follows the expected syntax, seems like a lot of
> overhead every time lynx is run.

I mean this is a common problem: distributive may be broken (cp.exe lost
or unavailable from PATH) and DOS/Win32 user have no reliable diagnostics,
the screen just flushed and nothing happened. I have no intention
to check the existance of cp.exe file (and it may be broken anyway),
I just want to issue a warning when command fails so the user understand
the problem.

> I am not sure about mv.exe. Although I distribute mv.exe with lynx
> on my web and ftp sites, I am not sure that it is ever used in the
> DOS port. The last time I grep'ed for this in the code, it was used
> primarily in the DIRED functions, which aren't compiled into the DOS
> port. Where is this used by the DOS or Win32 ports?

I saw it also in LYBookmarks.c multibookmarks code, grep for "LYCopyFile"
and read few lines below.  It is not clear for me,
that code use copy, rename and move for different sitiations
and there is a comment "rename will not work across filesystems".
At least for DOS we could use copy only and forget about else
(IMO ifdef'ing should be corrected: ifdef UNIX -> ifndef VMS).