lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev screen widths

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen widths
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:30:50 -0700

On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 06:49:21AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> <snip>
> anything wider than c 80 chars is likely to be hard on R -> L eye movement,
> which is presumably why magazines & newspapers -- for quick reading --
> divide their texts into columns much narrower than 80 chars;
> Lynx in fact uses 70 chars (cols 4 - 73) out of the 79 available.
> <snip>

I sure don't want ANYONE telling me what width I have to read at!

It's MY computer, MY (expensive) screen, and MY decision what
to do with it!

BULLSHIT(*) to "anything wider than 80 chars is likely to be
hard on L -> R eye movement"; that's what I say.

I myself LOVE running on the internet with screen width set to
132.  I find it MUCH easier to scan large amounts of written
material.

When I want to print-to-file something that I want to later
print on the laser-printer, I simply set cols to 79 (via
^Z then doing it), then when I do fg, wonderful lynx
realizes this change, and a ^R reformats the page, and
*that's* what I print-to-file.

---

The whole idea of html, I thought, was that it was
screen-width INDEPENDENT.  And Lynx has so far made this
very easy to accomplish.

As far as I am concerned, taking away this freedom
-- especially on a document prepared FOR lynx -- is
SO AWFUL -- well, I'm just totally bewildered that this
is even a subject for discussion on THIS group.  :-(

---

Sorry for the flaming attitude here, but any discussion
that might take away MY FREEDOM to do what I want,
*especially* on a computer, *especially* on a non $ms
program, *especially* on UNIX(tm)!!! -- just drives me
(temporarily, I hope) crazy.

David