lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:14:35 +0400 (MSD)

14-Apr-99 03:37 Philip Webb wrote:
> 990414 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>> 14-Apr-99 14:36 Henry Nelson wrote:
>>> I sincerely believe that the default for STARTFILE should remain
>>> "http://lynx.browser.org/";.
> -- quote from KW's discussion snipped --
>> Agree with Henry.

> but you quoted KW: he & HN have quite different views
> & yours were different again, ie to use the Main Help Page.

> can we please get serious?

I am quite serious.
Henry's point was the startfile probles should belong to PROBLEMS
since this most usual a local networking problem, not lynx.browser.org one.
So a person compiling lynx from sources could read PROBLEMS without
our advice.

Another item when we talk about "precompiled binaries" - they are
usually distributed without INSTALLATION, PROBLEMS, samples/ etc.
and used by less technical people. So they need another README file,
in additional to one from sources package.
Startfile problems, platform-specific paths, advise to check lynx.cfg, etc.
all should belong there (assuming a user cannot start lynx).
However, this is up to the binary distributions author.

In fact, most UNIX users already have lynx installed somewhere
on their system out-of-the-box, they may have no idea about
the package besides trying to start "lynx"
However, lynx -help always work unless the executable is corrupted.
How about adding a special text for -morehelp option (may be another name)
like we have for -permissions without arguments?
This can be a separate included file, easily maintainable in a root directory
and built into any lynx binary like we have for configure options currently.