lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev jumping around

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev jumping around
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

990413 Eduardo Chappa wrote:
> 990413 Philip Webb wrote:
>> however, one nuisance: as it says, you must keep the entries alphabetical
>> or Lynx can't find them, but that creates problems if you want to include
>> quickies like `.', which must be placed before `?', not after,
>> & both must be placed before `aardvark'.
> My jumps file is pretty much unsorted and it works perfectly well
> from the prompt (?, search, seminars, library, check-mail,
> mail, files, Graduate program etc...)

well, i just tested it with very simple short-cuts:  . ? a i o w y ;
that's ok, but if i order them  . ? a o i w y ,
Lynx can't find  i , tho' it can find all the others.

another glitch: you have to restart Lynx to get a revised jump list,
even if you do a  ?  &  ^r  first: the revised list is rendered,
but the old short-cuts are still the ones recognised:
eg if you go off & edit the short-cut `archive' to `a',
`archive' is still found, but `a' gets an error message.
this has to be wrong: surely Lynx should revise the list after  ^r .
this is a real PITA for those of us who run Lynx under Screen,
where it can remain active with cookie choices, passwords & search patterns
all remaining available for weeks (and  > 1 K  Visited Links ... ).

it seems Jump is a useful bit of heritage,
which no-one has really explored for a long time (thanx KW).