lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev PATCH [dev21]: source caching
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:57:41 -0400

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 10:08:48PM +0400, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Also, we can expand this little further and implement HTTP/1.1 cache so
> HTLoad will send conditional GET requests when we already have a source
> locally.  Anyway this may be a next good step.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't think that's a desireable
feature.  The point is, I already have a document I'm looking at, and I
may want to see the source to see why it looks the way it looks.  If the
page is dynamically created, the source I get back may not correspond to
what I was looking at before, and it defeats my purpose.  I don't want
the page to be reloaded under any circumstances just because I choose to
view it in a different way any more than I want it to be reloaded just
because I hit the space bar to go to the next page.  Or am I
misunderstanding you?

Chuck