lynx-dev

Re: STARTFILE bug? [lynx-dev]

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: STARTFILE bug? [lynx-dev]
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:14:33 -0500 (EST)

990401 Michael Warner advised:
> 01 Apr, 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>> i tried changing  lynx.cfg  to
>>  STARTFILE:file://localhost/homes/purslow/lynx ,
>> which should give me an easily recognisable directory of news stories
>> -- entering  lynx file://localhost/homes/purslow/lynx  works ok -- ,
>> but Lynx didn't recognise it.
> I tried this out on dev15 and got the same results,
> until I figured I had a 'WWW_HOME' entry in my environment.

yes, that makes a difference, but not the one it should:
 .login  was doing  WWW_HOME http://www.chass.utoronto.ca ,
something left from an earlier time when i was using the system Lynx.

however, i then ran into  2  further problems:
(1) having changed  .login  by commenting out that line & restarting,
 WWW_HOME  remained set to  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca  as before:
is there anywhere else it might be being set?
(2) having manually done  setenv WWW_HOME  (ie blanked it out),
Lynx 2-8-2dev.19 refuses to start, giving the message:
 lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain ,
tho' there is a properly defined start file in  lynx.cfg ;
after manually doing  setenv WWW_HOME "." ,
Lynx started with the correct current directory listing.

it would appear that Lynx 2-8-2dev.19 won't start without a start file
specified with  WWW_HOME , at least on this IRIX 5.3 using  csh .

i wanted simply to make a small change in the  lynx.cfg  default,
so that ordinary users out there always find a local start file,
if something different hasn't been specified elsewhere for/by them,
but i seem to have uncovered a bug as well, as often ... (smile).
anyone have any further suggestions?