lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:32:01 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:22:02 -0600 (CST)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:
> > OK -- I built lynx with ncurses instead of slang and it worked fine.
> > THe problem is apparently in slang input.
> > Doug, does this have any relation to the patches you sent today?
> > In any case, slang translates alt135 to 271 and ncurses does not.
>
> Is char unsigned on your system?  It may be some cast to (unsigned char)
> missing somewhere before the values is used as an index in a table.

I just rebuilt lynx with slang to test this some more.
I discovered that slang translates alt135 (c-with-cedilla) and
139 (i with 2 dots over it) to character 271 == 0x10F.
This does not look like a problem with sign extension -- more a
translation happening somewhere.  The problem seems to be in slang,
not my terminal emulator, or even lynx.

> > As for ISO-8859-1 being hardcoded in LYStrings.c and LYEditmap.c, I was only
> > going by what the comments said.  If it isn't true perhaps the comments
> > should
> > be updated.
>
> Yes they should.
>
> > In any case, I'm going to stop using slang until this problem is fixed.
> > Thanks for any feedback.
>
> Since you are the only person who has reported this problem, you are
> probably the only one who can dig deeper and fix it.  It won't fix
> itself...

I'll pass this one along to the slang gurus....:)
--le