lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion

From: Dave Eaton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev URL guessing for .CA domain suggestion
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:23:29 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> It would be really great to disable URL guessing for hosts ends
> with "dot + two letters" since it most likely a country code
> ...[clip]...
> a typo in user-defined URL fall into the obviously stupid "URL guessing"
> proccess like msk.ru.org/msk.ru.edu etc. - they definitely not exists.

While there is no "msk.ru.org" or "msk.ru.edu", the domains you picked
do exist:

 Rogers University (Tulsa, OK) = RU.EDU
 Renaissance Universal (Mainz, DE) = RU.ORG

Personaly, I'm not a fan of domain guessing ... it masks all the other
possibilities from the very user who doesn't know enough about the
Internet to know to look elsewhere. The classic example is those who just
enter "whitehouse" and get the X-rated site www.whitehouse.com, not the
one at www.whitehouse.gov.

If you are going to change the "guess" logic, please be careful not to
make it miss even more possibilities.

If you want to make it more exotic, I'd suggest to provide a config file
entry so the user can define what to guess in what order.

 Dave Eaton
--
 Artronic Development  - Your Web Site Solution
 12629 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 224; Phoenix, AZ 85032