lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev The traversal limitation

From: Rick Lewis
Subject: Re: lynx-dev The traversal limitation
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 06:55:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi, David and All,
I'm wondering if this idea of lynx not being allowed to access the
site and robots.txt is what I encounter in TV Guide's site, tvgen.com.
I still have problems with that site, as it continually re-forwards and
finally lynx tells me that the redirection limit of 10 URLs has been
reached.
Would somebody please take a look at this site--maybe even register,
(which just involves putting in a username and a password) and try going
in
and get TV listings through the registration you've just created?
I'd really like to know why this site doesn't work with lynx, or,
more to the point, if there's anything I can do to *make* it work
(like user-agents, etc.)
Anyway, the registration always fails. I'd like to use search options,
supposedly available to those who register.
(Alas, the  most text-friendly TV site was just bought out by TV
Guide which runs tvgen.com, so was shut down.)
When I asked about this a few weeks ago, I got a nice enough letter
about it, but had the impression that nobody had actually *tried* it.
A letter to the website sdministrator, suggesting that the site be less
of a maze, doing fewer redirections than 10, elicited no response.
Anyone willing to try registering at tvgen.com, and tell me why it
doesn't work with lynx, and more important, is there anything I can
do to make it work?
--Rick