lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies

From: Matthew Kelly
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:23:05 -0400 (EDT)

I was thinking about cookie modes before ... I think it would be really
nice to allow site by site prefs, plus an overall preference. IE

some.site.com : ALWAYS_ACCEPT / NEVER_ACCEPT / PROMPT

default : ALWAYS_ACCEPT / NEVER_ACCEPT / PROMPT

plus a flag

send_cookies : YES / NO / TO_ORIGINATING_SITE

When in default = PROMPT mode you could be prompted with
Accept cookied: Yes/No/+Always/-Never/?Prompt

where yes/no just dealt with this cookie
and always/never/prompt established a site-specific cookie-acceptance
preference.

Such a schema, plus saving state on cookies and cookie preferences would
allow people to estab cookies/cookie preferences for those sites they use
(eg NYT, etc) and ignore everything else...

I had thought of programming this a year or more back but was put off by
the list with the fact that cookies/cookie handling standards were in some
sort of flux... Is now a better time? Thoughts on the idea?

Matt

 On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Scott Bigham wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:08:33 -0300 (ADT)
> From: Scott Bigham <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies
>
> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
>
> > Posterkid, perhaps what you want to do is rename your options
> > 'HOARD ALL COOKIES' or accept_all_cookies instead of 'EAT ALL COOKIES'
> > to avoid the confusion.
>
> Actually, I think it would be more useful to have a more general
> COOKIE_HANDLING lynx.cfg entry that could be set to, say, ACCEPT_ALL,
> REJECT_ALL or PROMPT (the default).  The corresponding command-line option
> would presumably look something like '-cookie_handling=reject'.  The
> ACCEPT_ALL setting could presumably also activate the logging that Larry
> describes.
>
>                                               -sbigham

Matthew Kelly
address@hidden