lynx-dev

lynx-dev sendmail (was: your mail)

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev sendmail (was: your mail)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:45:00 +0100 (BST)

Foteos wrote:
> the Personal Address value to set a default From header value,
> (which is redundant with the -f switch for the stub) and not

-f is not the same as From: for the real sendmail.  It sets the
envelope from (used for bounces) which should always be the account
physically responsible for submitting the mail (the list owner
for this list).  The From: header should be the mailbox of the person
who commissioned the sending of the mail, providing they have one,
so, if you send from someone else's account, your ought to still use
your own From:, although this can be impractical with most software
(although Pegasus Mail will use the POP3 account information for envelope,
by default, as it uses that as a crude authentication check).

Access controls are normally based only on the envelope.

> agreements).  That's why I'm spending so much time becoming better
> acquainted with MicroSoft products, and the expectations they
> create for other software.

That probably makes sense from an employability point of view, but
one should understand this logic leads to the conclusion that there
is only one browser that matters, and that is not Lynx, so it is
legitimate to author for the behaviour of MSIE, not the standards.
We are already getting to the situation where mail broken by Outlook is
becoming the de facto definition of correctly formed mail.