lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: David Woolley
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:34:12 +0100 (BST)

> One possibiliy mighr be to have the lynx newsgroups on a particular
> newserver. If the groups get active, then the newsgroups could be

They are no longer newsgroups then, and they become denied to people
with only UUCP feeds, or who run proper newsservers, expecting a push
feed (strangely what is hyped as push mode on the web is much more pull
mode than traditional USENET!).  The people with proper servers can
slurp them, but they will only have this capability if they are already
doing so for some support group (although MS don't like being part of
USENET, a few public spirited sites have defied them and set up a pull
feed which they then push normally to the rest of USENET, so microsoft
groups can be treated like real newsgroups).

If not mirrored on a site server, such groups need special firewall rules,
to allow internal users to establish through NNTP connections, and may
require DNS information to be made available internally (the problem here
is that NT, in particular, does a lot of bogus DNS requests, which will
cause demand dial routers to be running up phone bills a lot of the time).

Actually, we already have such a system anyway, as the mailing lists are
archived!  So why not simply use HTTP/HTML on the existing archive if you
want selective reading capability.