lynx-dev

gettext and lynx (Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation)

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: gettext and lynx (Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation)
Date: 09 Apr 1998 10:25:08 +0200

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> writes:

|   yes - but if we do the gettext (or whatever) integration properly, those
|   extra files are just data, like
|
|       00001 Hello world
|       00002 Do you wish to quit
|
|   (and once assigned, we _don't_ change the numbers).

No, no -- this isn't how gettext works.  And I think we're talking about
GNU gettext.

Please, have a look at the reference implementation:

    http://www.suse.de/~ke/hello-1.3.16.tar.gz (200 k, yes, it's 200 k)

The gettext message file are organized like this (one entry):

    #: src/hello.c:148
    #, c-format
    msgid "Try `%s --help' for more information\n"
    msgstr "»%s --help« gibt weitere Informationen.\n"

You don't have to deal with number.  Using the tools included in ist GNU
gettext package, it's pretty easy to update those message file.  There's
a po-mode.el which helps the translator to do the translation.

The gettext manual explains _in_ _detail_, how the programmer has to
prepare the sources, to make all that work.  To be short, define

    #define _(String) gettext (String)
    #define N_(String) (String)
    #include <libintl.h>

and call in main()

     setlocale (LC_ALL, "");

    /* Set the text message domain.  */
    bindtextdomain (PACKAGE, LOCALEDIR);
    textdomain (PACKAGE);

and then mark up the stings:

    fputs (_("Too many arguments\n"), stderr);

--
Karl Eichwalder          S.u.S.E. GmbH          Fax       +49-911-3206727
address@hidden               Gebhardtstrasse 2      Mo & Th      13:00-18:00: