lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV handling Javascript (was mensa etc)

From: Jan Hlavacek
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV handling Javascript (was mensa etc)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 00:13:22 -0400

On Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 01:41:42PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> this is the 2nd time recently that this Javascript problem has hit us;
> i suggested Lynx should insert a warning, but purists gagged as usual.
> the Ricoh page shows there is a serious problem about URLs,
> which will probably become more common.
> wouldn't it be simple to have Lynx handle Javascript
> so that the user is warned & the URLs are given,
> at least in the References at the end or the Listed URLs key?

It would probably be possible to search Javascripts for things like
".*\.html" or ".*\.htm",  and convert them to links.  However,  the
pages I saw had mostly stuff like "subdir/".  How do you want to
distinguish this from some random string in the Javascript,  without
actually parsing the Javascript?

lahvak
--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek