lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 07:18:17 -0400 (EDT)

> > > 10K/language x 10 languages = 100K.  All duplicates, mostly unwanted
> [...]
> > I see the tradeoff as useful.  I looked through the Lynx source for good
> > pointers to translation files and couldn't find them.  Having them checked
>
> So we need a list, preferably an .html file in the help file tree which
> has links to the original source.  It would be much easier to maintain a
> list of hyperlinks, and copies of the files in question on an http server
> directory, than to keep the files stashed away in a subdirectory of the
> distribution.  Once junk gets stuck in the distribution, no one seems to
> have the guts to part with it anymore (reference to the /utils directory
> which used to contain the whole inews distribution even after Lynx became
> a full news client).
gettext uses an index (i.e., numbers) for each message, and relates it
to an external file.  That would be relatively simple to migrate to with
lynx, since the header file would be recoded to the numbers, and we'd have
a fallback (the compiled-in messages that are used when the external file
is either missing or incomplete).

I guess stuff tends to stay in the distribution because it isn't noticed
(if it's not much used, then that accounts for it ;-)

> I guess I'm fighting a losing battle, but I sure would like to see that
> magic number < 1.44 for the distribution.  Been fighting for over a year,
> so not much sense in giving up now :).
I don't see any reason to put them in the main distribution (just make them
available as an add-on package).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden