lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV .mailcap vs. XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND

From: pg
Subject: LYNX-DEV .mailcap vs. XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:23:49 -0600 (MDT)

Hello, Lyncei,

It seems that the XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND, whether in lynx.cfg or userdefs.h
overrides any image viewers set in a .mailcap command.  I can think
of several reasons I'd prefer .mailcap to override:

o lynx.cfg is usually (although not necessarily) global, whereas .mailcap
  is personal.  Users should have the option of overriding a global setting
  with a personal one.

o XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND governs all image types, whereas .mailcap offers
  the possibility of selecting different viewers for (e.g.) gif and jpeg.

o .mailcap offers a single standard technique by which a users and
  administrators can control their choice of viewers for all applications
  (Lynx, elm, tin, etc.) without the need to edit a configuration file
  for each application.

I believe that while I can't understand the rationale for the choice
of precedence, the decision was not made casually by the Lynx designers.
Can anyone enlighten me concerning their rationale?

Finally, what harm am I likely to do if I shuffle things around in
LYMain.c or HTInit.c to give .mailcap precedence over XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND?

Thanks,
gil