lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: what is that "figlet" stuff I just saw?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: what is that "figlet" stuff I just saw?
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:34:59 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, David Combs wrote:
>Please, what is this "figlet" stuff; looks interesting?
>Ditto for "bright", whatever that is.

Hopefully I'll nip this one in the bud..

Figlet is a program that prints out text in "fonts" on text terminals.

As you saw, there are different fonts you can have it print the text in..
it will print it "normally" or even rotated 90 degrees (I think) so you can
pipe it into a file.  You can search on the net to get source and compile it.

Editorializing:

I'm about as big of a text-mode fan as there is (I think all computers
should have text mode built in, since when I'm doing UNIXy stuff, everything
else is fluff), but I think this is kind of silly.   It seems like "bitmap font
envy" to me.