lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ac0.97: CGI &-separated parameters are broken now.

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac0.97: CGI &-separated parameters are broken now.
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:04:23 +0300 (MSK)

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > First obvious error is that Lynx violates HTML specs here trying to parse
> > &-entity without final ";"
>
> If you want to claim that that is an "obvious error", you have to provide
> some references to support that claim.  It certainly isn't obvious to me.

The SGML entiry must end with ";" per SGML definition and DTD.
I.e. only ⟨ must cause reaction, not just &lang

> I expect that (new) Lynx is not the only client that tries to expand
> entities in HREF (and similar) attributes (as required by SGML).
> Even if other browsers currently don't do it, they may do so in the
> future.  So don't just blame Lynx.

I blame not for expanding but for wrong "guessing". How do you treat
&language f.e.? It impossible to do expanding correctly without final ";"
and lynx must not do it.

I know that Netscape was first who broke SGML by trying to "guess"
&xxx entries, but now even Netscape refuse parsing of &xxx entities
without final ";" and left them intact, lets not be worse than they are.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>