lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problems compiling lynx_386 version (latest lynx-cur.z

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problems compiling lynx_386 version (latest lynx-cur.z
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 18:25:06 -0800 (PST)

On ?, Sabato De Rosa wrote:

> Ok Doug; but in the section V. of INSTALLATION files was suggested
> differently; in any cases I have followed your idea but the results are
> unconfortable. That's the report:
> ----------
>
> In file included from UCdomap.c:18:
> ./WWW/library/implementation/tcp.h:478: socket.h: No such file or directory
(ENOENT)
> UCdomap.c:63: chrtrans/def7_uni.h: No such file or directory (ENOENT)
> UCdomap.c:64: chrtrans/iso01_uni.h: No such file or directory (ENOENT)
>
> ----------
>  ly>>that doesn't work; the problem is that there isn't
>  ly>>file SOCKET.H called from  file TCP.H. I have tried to solve this
>  ly>>question adding the TCPLIB/ICLUDE/TCP  in paths declared in
>  ly>>C_INCLUDEPATH of compiler's DJGPP.ENV file (but I don't  know if
>
> lynx-2-7-1.ac.0.89

It appears that you are using a reasonable version of lynx to try to
compile for DOS. I suspect a problem with the way you have your
supplemental files integrated with lynx.  I would suggest starting from
scratch as follows:
1. Unzip the archive using either unzip or "pkzip -d"
2. create a subdirectory of lynx2-7- called curses
3. create a subdirectory of lynx2-7- called djgpp
4. create a subdirectory of lynx2-7-/djgpp called tcplib
5. compile or place your compiled WATTCP library in
   lynx2-7-/djgpp/tcplib
6. compile or place your compiled PDCurses library in lynx2-7-/curses
7. change DJGPP.ENV back to your default
8. edit userdefs.h.  You probably want to make trace log the default.
9. change to the lynx2-7-/WWW/Library/djgpp directory; from this
   directory type "make".  This should compile libwww.a.
10. change to the lynx2-7-/src/chrtrans directory; from this directory
    type "make -f makefile.dos".  This should make all the header files
    for chrtrans.
11. change to the lynx2-7-/src directory; from this directory type
    "make -f makefile.dos". This should compile the lynx binary.  If it
    tests OK, type "strip lynx.exe" to make the binary smaller.
12. Be sure to edit lynx.cfg, to be compatible with DOS 8+3 naming.  You
    probably need to change .lynxrc to lynx.rc, .mime.types to _mime.typ,
    and .mailcap to _mailcap.
13. Remember that lynx_386 won't work without a packet driver.

If this doesn't work, let us know at what step it failed.  I am not at
my DOS machine as I write this, so I hope that I got the directory
structure correct from memory.  Good luck on getting it to work.

                             Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)