lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx ac-87 on OS/2 -- almost done :)

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx ac-87 on OS/2 -- almost done :)
Date: 28 Oct 1997 12:21:28 -0600

With all the talk about getting Lynx working on different variations
of compilers on Win32, I thought I'd let people know that I have a
development version of Lynx finally running on OS/2 (as if anyone
cares?).   I decided to start again from scratch instead of trying to
apply my Lynx 2-7-1 patches.  I'll share a few experiences:

1) Configure
   I managed to get the configure script to run after beating it about
   the head and neck with a rubber hose for a while (and running Ilya
   Zakharevich's fix-configure perl script).  It obviously can't
   capture all of OS/2 and EMX's snarkinesses, but it did get me to
   the starting line.

2) DOSPATH
   Having DOSPATH checked for at various points in the source was both
   a benefit and a hazard for this port.  I didn't set DOSPATH because
   it does a lot of other things besides handling pathnames with drive
   letters.  But having it there did help me know where to look for
   things to change, and in many cases I just changed #ifdef DOSPATH
   to #if defined(DOSPATH) || defined(OS2).

3) HTDOS.[ch]
   Instead of manually massaging pathnames to take drive letters as I
   did in the OS/2 version of Lynx 2-7-1, I just called HTDOS_wwName
   or HTDOS_name.  I think the bug in HTDOS_name (returns pointer to
   static --non-reentrant) is biting me (at least something is causing
   coredumps when freeing buffers containing file names).  I've worked
   around this in some places in ways that are ugly in the extreme.

I've got it mostly working now, though some core dumps and some things
that should work but don't make it not ready for prime time.  I just
thought I would provide an update.