lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Still won't compile under DOS

From: JeffreyX Groves
Subject: LYNX-DEV Still won't compile under DOS
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 15:57:00 PDT

**** THE OCT 1997 WEB ARCHIVES ARE BROKEN, SO PLEASE REPLY BY EMAIL ****

OK, I finally gave up trying to compile with the NT 4.0 DOS shell.

I have everything installed on a Win95 system and I re-booted in
DOS mode.  I'm still getting the same errors...

All the errors seem to be related to files that are longer than the
standard DOS 8.3 format.

I have the latest version of DJGPP and the latest version of Lynx with
the makefile patches installed (the -DDOSPATH define is set).

First, I'm trying to compile the WWW library.  Is it actually possible
to do this without editing all the file references that are too long?

Here's what I do...

  cd LYNXZ-~1\WWW\LIBRARY\DJGPP
  make

It responds with...

  makefile:28:  ../../Library/Implementation/Version.make: No such file
or directory

I tried a workaround and edited all the references that were too long...
   Implementation => Implemnt
   Version.make => Version.mak
   CommonMakeFile => common.mak

Then I tried this...

  make -f makefile.new

It got a little further and actually compiled 'HTParse.c'.  However, it
croaked on 'HTAccess.c' with the following message...

  ../../Library/Implemnt/HTAccess.c:65: LYGlobalDefs.h: No such file or
directory (ENOENT)

Do I have to edit all the file references to 8.3 format or is there a
better way?  I've already spent four days trying to get this to compile
and it getting a little frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

;