lynx-dev

commercial documentation, Re: LYNX-DEV Where to find help?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: commercial documentation, Re: LYNX-DEV Where to find help?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:41:16 +0000

David Woolley wrote:

> One of the first rules with Unix software is that if you need deep
> documentation you should obtain the source distribution (unfortunately,
> unlike Linux, some commercial Unix suppliers, who won't supply source, are
> actually reducing the documentation supplied (Bela please note), presumably
> because the full documentation conflicts with the marketing department
> desire to give the impression that the learning costs are negligible).

I'm not in control of what SCO does with Lynx.  But I doubt source will
be included (though it *will* be available for download).  As to other
documentation, I have no idea.  But I do know that SCO ships all
documentation in multiple languages, so there is a very real cost to
each additional bit.  It's not just some marketing person deciding not
to intimidate the user; it's a considered decision based primarily on
budget and time resource constraints.

Mind you, I _do_not_ know what the SCO Technical Publications group has
decided to do -- maybe they *are* going to translate the whole set of
Lynx docs, and maybe they aren't.  If they did, it would of course
benefit ongoing Lynx development (and to whatever extent they do, even
if it isn't all of the docs, it will still be beneficial).

--
Sandy & Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Now in St.
Petersburg, Russia.  Next week: Helsinki, then -- we don't know!  Stories,