lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Fatal Error in Lynx 2.7.1

From: Bruce Jackson
Subject: LYNX-DEV Fatal Error in Lynx 2.7.1
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:56:53 -0500

Greetings,

I've been experiencing some crashes with Lynx 2.7.1.  I don't have time
to do any debugging now but I wanted to pass along what I found.

System:
SPARCstation IPC
Solaris 2.6
Lynx 2.7.1
built with gcc 2.7.2.3 and Sun's bundled assembler and linker

Environment:
linked to Internet through Netscape Proxy Server 2.0 running on
a Sun E3000 running Solaris 2.5.1

When running ftp through the proxy lynx sometimes dies on signal 10
(SIGBUS) or 11 (SIGSEGV) after login is entered, or after password is
entered.  Even when lynx logs in and transfers without crashing it
usually dies on signal 11 when the user quits lynx.

Looking at the backtraces with gdb it appeared to be dying when
memory was allocated.  I linked lynx with GNU malloc which seems
to have fixed the problem.

Without gnu malloc follows is what I got from gdb when lynx died
logging into a site through the proxy:

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.o follow a link; Left to go back.
0xef6765a8 in t_splay ())o M)ain screen Q)uit /=search [delete]=history list
(gdb) bt
#0  0xef6765a8 in t_splay ()
#1  0xef676418 in t_delete ()
#2  0xef6760ec in realfree ()
#3  0xef6768e8 in cleanfree ()
#4  0xef675b48 in _malloc_unlocked ()
#5  0xef675a50 in malloc ()
#6  0xef66abf8 in calloc ()
#7  0xc3748 in HTAAForwardAuth_reset ()
#8  0xc3d28 in HTAA_composeAuth ()
#9  0x9f87c in HTLoadHTTP ()
#10 0x9e0b8 in override_proxy ()
#11 0x9e3c0 in HTSaveStream ()
#12 0x9e888 in HTLoadAbsolute ()
#13 0x33340 in getfile ()
#14 0x39b5c in mainloop ()
#15 0x36774 in main ()

This is what I got from gdb when I got a signal 11 quitting lynx.

0xef6760c4 in realfree ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xef6760c4 in realfree ()
#1  0xef676858 in _free_unlocked ()
#2  0xef6767a8 in free ()
#3  0x2433c in HText_free ()
#4  0x31630 in HText_activateRadioButton ()
#5  0x8c72c in LYatexit ()
#6  0x8c5f8 in LYexit ()
#7  0x3678c in main ()

The other signal 11's that I got while logging into ftp sites through the
proxy only occured when I ran lynx without gdb.  I could not repeat this
error under gdb so I can't send you the backtrace.

Hope this helps,

Bruce

Bruce Jackson  - Sr. Systems Programmer - address@hidden

;