lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx using WYSE 50 terminals

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx using WYSE 50 terminals
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:18:01 -0500

Hi.

In message <address@hidden>,
Doug Chanco writes:
 ]     Hello,
 ]          I am a trying to get LYNX to run on WYSE 50 terminals connected
 ] to a RS6000 running AIX version 4.  LYNX works but the highlight
 ] bar/arrow keys are not working, although on a pc everything works fine,
 ] I am assuming that is because it is using VT100 emulation.  I looked at
 ] the keymap.h file and I think that the problem is that WYSE uses some
 ] strange combinations for the arrow keys, and I'm not sure what is wrong
 ] with the highlighting of the various links.  I am really new to UNIX and
 ] LYNX so any help would be greatly appreciated.

This question has come up many times in the past.  Lynx does not like
the Wyse 50 very well.

Here is the recipe for success I have had with the Wyse 50's at Purdue:

        (1) Use a recent development version of Lynx (from
            http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/).

        (2) Use slang instead of curses.  To do this, build libslang.a
            from the sources at ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang/
            ... then use --screen=slang option in the Lynx
            configuration.

slang is the only thing I've gotten to do inverse correctly with the
Wyse 50.  I'm not sure why; I tried it once and it worked so I didn't
bother to try to figure it out.  The Wyse 50 uses "magic cookies"
before and after highlighted text, and the way you specify text
attributes isn't like the ANSI model at all, and this is part of what
has caused problems in the past.  It might work with ncurses 4.1,
which I must sheepishly admit that I have not tried for some time.

If you do this and still have problems, I can mail you the
termcap/terminfo entries I'm using; they're the ones that come with
ncurses...

        (3) Instead of using the arrow keys, either
                (a) turn on vi keys, or
                (b) use the numbers on the keypad as arrow keys.  Lynx
                    will let you use the 8, 6, 4, and 2 on the number
                    keypad as arrow keys if the "K)eypad mode" option
                    in the o)ptions screen is set to "Numbers act as
                    arrows".

The arrows on the Wyse 50 send ^H, ^J, ^K, and ^L, which tend to
conflict with other things (backspace, line feed, form feed).  There
may be some termcap/terminfo incantations that will allow you to use
them without making curses think you are pressing different keys, but
I wouldn't know.  I use the vi keys, personally...

You might also try looking at the archives at

        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/

for responses to this question from the past.

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden / address@hidden
;