lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Printing options for Lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Printing options for Lynx
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:42:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Jignesh D Joshi wrote:

> Hello ;
>
> Thank you very much for creating and maintaing such a wonderful resorce for
> Lynx. I was successfully able to install Lynx on my DG Unix system. Thanks
> Subir Grewal for his installing tips.
>
> I am trying to customize Lynx now for my organization and am experiencing
> problems in several areas :
>
> 1) PRINTING : When choosing a 'p' option to print, it takes me to a menu
> with three choices :
> Save to a local file
> Mail the file
> Print to the Screen
>
> I read and tried to modify the lynx.cfg file as :
> PRINTER: printer name : lp -d<PRINTER> %s : TRUE
>
> Even after all this, I was not able to print a document on to a printer.

Did you get more options than the default three on the Printing Options
screen?

> How can I adjust the variables and definitions so that I can print to any
> system printer ?
> Can it be adjusted to print it on a slave printer ? (Not dump screen.)

First make sure that Lynx is actually using the lynx.cfg you modified,
not some other copy.  Try specifyyn it explicitly with "lynx -cfg=... ".

I would also remove the suplerfluous spaces around the ':' characters
(but I haven't checked whether it makes a difference).

> 2) KEYMAPPING :
>
> We use dump terminals on our various sites and we have a special custom
> made keyboards.
> When I try to use arrow keys to follow the links or to move through the
> document, it takes me to the
> printing menu, no matter which arrow key I press. To get around this
> problem, I enabled the 'vi'
> keys and using 'h-j-k-l' I was able to browse smoothly. I am concerned
> about this because to
> an end user using dump terminal, even a simplest thing as using these keys
> for navigating is
> not easy and there is a finite possibility of frequent confusions.
> Therefore, I wanted to set my
> key-mapping so that I can use arrow-keys to navigate on my key-board.
> Is there a way I can do this ?

Lynx's built-in recognition of keys is limited to some common, mostly
vt100-like escape sequences.  If that isn't appropriate for your
keyboards, and they cannot be configured to send vt100-ish escape
sequences, you can

 - set "Numbers act as arrows", probably only useful if your keyboards
   have a numeric keypad block, and you don't get numbered links;

 - or modify the source in LYStrings.c to recognize your keys;

 - or find or create a terminfo/termcap file which has the right key
   info for your keyboards, and compile Lynx to use a curses library
   which supports keypad().  (Make sure Lynx is compiled to use it;
   you didn't ssay what code version you are using, it may depend on
   that.)  If that is not possible with the curses library you have, you
   may have to install a better one for example (a newer version of)
   ncurses.

         Klaus

;
;