lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV _Lots_ more on INSTALLATION and SIMPLEDIR
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:33:49 +0900 (JST)

> Renaming to "keystroke" will do the trick.

Okay, let's do it.  If "keystroke" isn't good, then people on the
list, please speak up now or forever hold your peace.  As soon as I
can, I'll set it up in "http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/SIMPLEDIR.gz";.

> > I have rewritten SIMPLEDIR so that all one would have to do is "source
> > SIMPLEDIR" from the top directory and it will do all the proposed operations
>
> Remember that operating systems like DOS don't have "source".

Sorry for the confusion.  "SIMPLEDIR" is the list of commands and patches
that I have been producing to "clean up" the top directory of the Lynx
source distribution.  If it were ever used, it would be used only once, most
likely on Scott's Solaris.  One of the things it does is remove the duplicated
about_lynx-dev.html file you've been trying to get rid of.  The URL is given
above (it has to be compressed to save every scrap of bandwidth), and I
encourage interested parties to comment and criticize away.

> You only need to stubedit cc1.exe.  Cc1plus.exe is the c++ compiler.
> Lynx doesn't use c++, as far as I know.  You're right Doug,  Sorry about
that.

Well, if you've compiled Lynx successfully, which you have, then you
don't need c++.  Bill, could I have a confirmation?

> > cd ..\..\..
> > cd src\chrtrans
> > make
> > cd ..\..
> > cd www\library\djgpp
>
> I believe that WWW/Library/djgpp needs to be compiled before
> src/chrtrans, but I haven't checked it.

***was***
No this is not the case.  you can just run make from the chrtrans directory with
the makefile I proposed.  I tried this with a clean distribution of lynx and
the chartrans code compiles successfully.
***was***

I didn't put this batch file in the proposed INSTALLATION, but rather
referenced to it as a supporting document in samples/.  It would be nice,
though, to have confirmation on this point, and the next one, too.
(Another query: I personally don't see much efficiency in doing a cd twice.)

***was***
Remember that the batch file I supplied was only a sample.  I have cleaned it up
and it now looks like this:

cd djgpp\tcplib\obj
make
cd ..\..\..\src\chrtrans
make
cd ..\..\www\library\djgpp
make
cd ..\..\..\src
make -f makefile.dos
strip lynx.exe
cd ..

I originally built this bat file based on what Wayne had.  With DJGPP version
2.X, you don't need the stubify step so it has been removed.  Also, I joined the
cd commands to make the procedure more efficient.
***was***

> > make -f makefile.dos
> > strip lynx
> > stubify lynx
> > cd ..
>
> There is no need to "stubify lynx", since version 2 of DJGPP
> automatically makes a "lynx.exe" in addition to lynx.  Indeed, if the
> DOS target is made lynx.exe instead of lynx, only the lynx.exe will be
> made.  Then you can just "strip lynx.exe".

***was***
I have included the above changes.  Also, If we are going to include a makefile
to build the chartrans code, it isn't necessary to build the makeuctb program in
the top-level makefile (makefile.dos).  As I said, that program along with the
translation of the chartrans tables can be done stand alone.
***was***

And do people agree that Bill's makefile for the src/chrtrans is
workable?  Without a working makefile, people compiling for DOS are
going to hang up there.  Doug, if you have a spare moment, could you
send the one you use, i.e., the one you create using your patching
method?  Thanks much.

***was***
Henry, for you to infer that my makefile doesn't work isn't called for here.
You are certainly invited to write one of your own.  The one I provided works
very well on my system and isn't meant to be the final version.
***was***

;
;