lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 01:26:22 +0400 (MSD)

> > Lynx will get you to all text material on the WWW
>
> Unfortunately, there is an irritating trend towards doing text as a GIF
> image of the text.  One of my employer's competitors has a home page
> (currently the only page) which is an abstract pattern of empty rectangles
> in a graphic browser with graphics off, and a sequence of "[LINK]"s and
> "[IMAGE]"s in Lynx.  (What I don't understand is why they didn't use one
> big image mapped bitmap - it would at least have covered all GUI browsers
> back to early Mosaics, rather than needing tables support.)

> The problem is that people are trying to use HTML as a page description
> language (instead of PDF or Postscript).  There is nothing that Lynx can

Not "people" but some word processor's manufacturers
support "export to HTML" by such a crazy way...

They limit the auditorium because of compatibility problems with browsers
instead of using different clear and stable techniques for different contents:
"one large image", or "text with a few minor images", etc.

May be in future browsers will be PDF-capable...

Leonid.

;
;