lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Please confirm possible bug

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Please confirm possible bug
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:07:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, --- Alvian --- wrote:

> Lynx gurus,
>
> Please try this sample piece of html.  Set Lynx to advanced user mode,
> put the cursor over each link and look at the status line.  Does the
> "Line 2" link show "file://localhost/cgi-bin/download.pl?Line1" ???
> It does on my Lynx.  And when submitted (to a script on), the second link
> will send "Line1" instead.
>
> This is on a Ultrix-slang compile of Lynx 2-7-1 with fotemods 23 July 97.
>
> --------
> <a NAME="trialware" href="/cgi-bin/download.pl?Line1">Line 1</a>
> <a NAME="trialware" href="/cgi-bin/download.pl?Line2">Line 2</a>
> --------

Giving the same NAME attribute to different links is not allowed.
There can legitimately only be one anchor with NAME=trialware.
If you violate that rule, Lynx gets confused (or rather, it doesn't
act like you expect).  You are more or less telling lynx that the
two links are one and the same thing.  So don't be surprised when
Lynx can't tell them apart any more!

I suspect that other browsers would also get confused by this,
especially if they are built on top of the CERN/W3C Library.

   Klaus

;
;