lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Off topic - Special Proxy server?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Off topic - Special Proxy server?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:16:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> This is a little off topic, but I figured we are the ones that might know
> the answer to a question like this.
>
> I am looking for a proxy or patches for one of the free ones that can run
> completely by URL rather than needing to hardwire the browser to pass
> through it.  As an example, the anonymizer at http://www.anonymizer.com/
> can do this.  I don't need it to be anon, just 100% url based.  This is
> for in-house use only so I wouldn't be offering it to the world (if
> that makes a difference).
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?

There's two parts to this kind of gateway (not really a proxy), aside
from the header stripping you don't need.

First, the gateway function itself.  You want to make the gateway react
to a "GET /http://some.host/blah/html HTTP/1.0" in the same way as a proxy
reacts to "GET http://some.host/blah/html HTTP/1.0" (The slash is the
difference).  This is trivial with the cern_httpd, just set it up as a
proxy (as documented) and then make some obvious changes in the config
file.

But you probably also want to mangle the html documents which pass through
the gateway, so that links point to the gateway.  I.e. change all HREF=,
ACTION= attributes as necessary.  That's not going to be simple, to get
right for all possible cases.  Consider there may be relative and absolute
URLs, BASE tags (And Content-Base: headers!), line splits where you don't
expect them etc.  Anyway, if I had to do something like that (no idea why
you want it), I would use Axel Boldt's WebFilter patches to the CERN httpd
(see <URL: http://www-math.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/NoShit/index.html>),
and try to write a filter script for it.  (Can be sed, awk, perl, whatever
you want.)

     Klaus

;
;