lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SSL on Lynx 2.7.1 (Linux)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL on Lynx 2.7.1 (Linux)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:21:19 +0100 (BST)

> It also insures that no one monitoring the network, such as with a packet
> sniffer, can tell you are accessing alt.naughty.naughty.naughty instead of
> comp.os.fixes.  It also thus allows pseudonymous posting.

I did think about that one, but concluded that any ISP providing snews
for that purpose is likely to attract the attention of the authorities.

Also, simply accessing a service provider that applies security to public
information tends to hint that you are accessing dodgy groups and the
highest risk is probably from an unethical news server operator, not
from someone tapping the transmission in transit.  There might be some
risk from your own ISP, but that ISP is more likely to be worried about
any third party news server access, as it will be putting unnecessary
traffic on their external links.

;
;