lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:56:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:53:39 +0930
> From: Michael Talbot-Wilson <address@hidden>
> >     slang
> >             is a screen package that (for our purposes) emulates bits &
> >             pieces of bsd curses with parts borrowed from some flavors
> >             of System V curses.  (There's some advantages in it, but
> >             since it does not follow any standard, it's best classified
> >             as experimental).
>
> Probably the advantages are what the person who made the enquiry was
> actually interested in.  Slang seems to allow more flexible colour
> configuration, and more colour options.  There is run-time interpretation
> of colour specifications in the config file.
>
> I think there are knowledgeable LYNX-DEV list members who could tell you
> a lot more.  E.g. the "lang" part suggests a high-level API.

The -color option to lynx is only supported #ifdef USE_SLANG.
This allows you to define colors for various attributes in lynx.cfg
(the COLOR settings).  Since I only use slang, and have never gotten
ncurses to compile, I don't know what benefit ncurses has over curses.

BTW, a while back I sent a patch to redefine the default color settings
for -color (which are completely unusable as they stand).  Is there a
chance someone would pick these up?  As I mentioned b4,
-color is really unusable with the default colors as they are, unless the
user grabs lynx.cfg and changes them.  Since moost users aren't
willing or able to do this, it'd be nice if the default colors
were redefined.

For my post containing the patch (dated May 7) see
        http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0597/msg00304.html

Also, since RP's color styles stuff is ifdef'd, does that mean the
devel code is going to continue to support the old COLOR settings
in lynx.cfg?
--le

;
;