lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV new security bulletin drafts

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new security bulletin drafts
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:55:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Jonathan Sergent wrote:
> Can people please look at and comment on the version 3 drafts at
> http://www.io.com/~sergent/c/cert-index.html
> that I announced yesterday afternoon?  I haven't seen any hits on
> them at all!

I looked at them :-)

This sentence needs to be two sentences:

The FOTEMODS patches avoid any pre-existing filenames for new temporary
files, thus skipping any symbolic link which may have been created with
an upcoming temporary filename, and allows the administrator or user to
                               ^- (These patches allow...)
define TEMP_SPACE (or the LYNX_TEMP_SPACE environment variable) as
"/tmp/$USER" (for example) for pre-existing directories that correspond
to accounts' usernames and have protections/ACLs set for access only by
the appropriate users.

This is problematic:

  The next release of Lynx will eliminate this vulnerability, at
  which time this bulletin will be updated.

Instead of promising a bulletin revision, advise readers to subscribe
to *and read* the lynx-dev mailing list.

Before saying this:

  General questions about Lynx installation and usage should be
  sent to <address@hidden>.

Add:

  On-line help about Lynx is available using the 'h'elp key.  More help
is available in the source distributions.  Should your questions not
be answered by these means, ...

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Why stop now just when I'm hating it?