lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV -crawl + -traversal + -source => -mirror

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: LYNX-DEV -crawl + -traversal + -source => -mirror
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:20:47 -0700

        All (esp. all Lynx coders!):

        I posted this to the enhancements page -- but I'd like
        to re-iterate it here.

        The -crawl and -traversal switches are neat.  However it
        would be even neater if we had a -mirror switch that would
        to a traversal, copying all HMTL docs as source and all
        binary (.gif, the map files, etc) into a new directory tree.

        Ideally this would look like:

                lynx -mirror ~/mirrors/$SOMEDIR  http://www.somewhere.org/top

        ... and the mirror would be created under $SOMEDIR (which would be
        created if necessary).

        In addition it would be nice to allow the -traversal switch to
        work with this (so the normal traversal .dat files would be
        created -- and in particular so we could parse those to find
        'broken' links.

        I prototyped a script using -traversal and -dump to do this
        in two passes.  However that seems very inefficient -- having
        the facility "built-in" would be so much better.

        What's frustrating is that it seems like all of the hard work is
        already there in the code (the -crawl, -traversal, and -source
        switches are already implemented).

        Unfortunately I'm not enough of a C coder to do this myself --
        though it's sorely tempting to try it.

--
Jim Dennis,                                address@hidden
Proprietor,                          address@hidden

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <address@hidden>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A
;